Monday, May 26, 2008

Trying something new....

Ok, well I was told I no longer can practice Bikram Yoga. Long story, it is perfectly safe, and I encourage everyone to do it, but a lot is going on and my doctor doesn't want me in the heat. So, it has been about two months since I did my last Triangle Pose (which by the way was my LEAST favorite pose, but it did get my heart pumping) and I am going through withdraw.

I have this friend, Laura, who I met at Bikram and she is a health/fitness maniac! Really...she amazes me. I told her my walking just wasn't giving me the "high" that Bikram gave me. She said "well how about running?" Running...are you serious? I could never do that! Well, today I had my first session with Greg. I signed up for a nine week course at www.active.com called "Couch to 5K". In nine weeks I will be ready to run my first 5K.

Now I must tell you the last time I "ran". I was in the 7th grade, in my favorite teacher's class, Mr. Summerville. He was getting old back then...and he ran every single day...which amazed me back then and still does now. I don't know why, but he was also the coach for some sport, maybe Track? Long story, but my parents believed you tried out for EVERY sport...track, now that was just crazy! And my school was small so of course, everyone made the team. Just my luck! Our first day was a running day and I could not do the run and he said "come on bubbles you can do it". He always said "what's your trouble bubbles". Can you tell I really liked him? Well, I was second from DEAD last on that first run. I did make it, but I was almost last. So for me to even attempt this is amazing, crazy, scary, and super invigorating!

Laura, Greg and I are all going to run a 5K in August. Laura, is training for "Couch to half Marathon", but she said she would do it with me. It will be the hottest month in Texas, but I can do it! If I have learned anything in the last year it is this...I truly can achieve anything if I want it bad enough and nothing that is worth doing is easy. I'll keep you posted on this journey!

No news as far as the adoption. I would say adoption from China is at a standstill. Others may not agree, but when you are told it could easily be three more years, well to me, that means they aren't getting anywhere. It is still a very SORE subject.

Greg and I are looking forward to going to our hometown in June to see our good friend, Steve, and our Grandparents. It will be a short trip, but a very needed one. I hope you all are doing well. Check back for my progress on my new adventure!

4 comments:

Karin said...

I was thinking of you today as I try to keep myself away from RQ. agh. Mostly, because you've already been waiting for almost 2 years (sorry to put that in black and white!) and all of us coming up on just a year are already complaining. I can't imagine what you and your husband are going thru emotionally. But I wanted you to know you're in my thoughts!
And I like this story~ I'm very impressed that you've taken up running. I don't and won't. A treadmill on a high walking speed is all I can take!
Take care,
Karin

Wisteria MacBain said...

You go, girl! Running a 5k in August?! That's awesome! You are braver than I!

A while back I did a little Bikram yoga, too, but the instructor was BRUTAL...took all the fun out of it for me. I have since been doing more of a yoga for relaxation 2-3 times a week. It sure helps with the loooooooong wait for our China referral...I think it's the only thing keeping me sane and helping me not to give up. Don't worry, Alicia, we'll get our babies!

Good luck with your 5k!!

Karin said...

I'm checking in on your progress on your new adventure! How's it going? !?I hope you had/have fun on your quick trip back to your hometown!

I love ben and Jerrys ice cream because of all the STUFF! I heard when you work there, they give you 2 pints every friday. oh my. My favorite is Everything but the... and it really does have everything!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.